Date:      Mon, 3 Sep 2001 14:25:59 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
To:        FreeBSD-Stable <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: RAID5

On Tue, 4 Sep 2001 francisv@dagupan.com wrote:

> Speaking of RAID, what RAID card that supports IDE would you recommend for
> FreeBSD? Can it boot from the RAID device or do you need a separate boot
> disk for that?

    AFAIK, there are no IDE RAID cards that support RAID-5.  You are
stuck with RAID 0, 1 or 10.  Although these are just fine for what
they are, they don't do what RAID-5 does.  RAID-10 is an acceptable
substitute for RAID-5 if you have the money for the spare spindles.

    Promise's RAID cards are the ubiquitous "standard" these days,
although you can also get motherboards that have onboard IDE RAID
controllers (again, only RAID 0, 1, or 10), such as the Gigabyte
GA-7DXR.

    Or you could use vinum(8) and use whatever IDE controller you
have, and whatever RAID configuration that you want.  Note, however
that last I knew (Greg Lehey can update us on this), vinum(8) in
RAID-5 did not work well with the fxp driver (which handles Intel
EtherExpress NICs).  Many here have reported data corruption with that
combination, and it's apparently a *very* hard problem to reproduce
"in the lab".

--
Chris BeHanna
Software Engineer                   (Remove "bogus" before responding.)