Date:      Wed, 20 May 2020 09:20:00 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Damien DEVILLE <damien.deville@stormshield.eu>
To:        Marcin Wojtas <mw@semihalf.com>
Cc:        emaste <emaste@freebsd.org>, freebsd-security@freebsd.org,  Rafal Jaworowski <raj@semihalf.com>
Subject:   Re: ASLR/PIE status in FreeBSD HEAD
References:  <CAPv3WKfYyVnfNDTPOEN6TF_GjJr=ThdNeB1yMtTEoQoxEdHMDg@mail.gmail.com> <CAPyFy2Cis6mKP%2BtRqEG8CwODgLXVBpQsxQ4FJX6wrpiPODr=Bg@mail.gmail.com> <CAPv3WKdQrS4oAcUcNn_mQOUJCmKm88LWhv62yf5B0BkmnyGpaA@mail.gmail.com> <CAPyFy2Cd0U-yRhpF3n9ypM2q7VPdSo4CMjYXHGWQBnG%2BFCsJAQ@mail.gmail.com> <CAPv3WKeYe2BY6%2BMF5Pgi_Eq2orNj4CCiy2fvzO5pa8iLRcu2Bg@mail.gmail.com> <CAPv3WKcbPoAk1E3Ujx8GPjLJttZgwMLZr-oFD5r3UNDAEb_3Dw@mail.gmail.com>

Hi everyone,

This a very good news. Thanks to Semihalf to their commitment on this subje=
ct.
At Stormshield as a security vendor using FreeBSD we are highly interested =
in all subjects that enhance the security level of FreeBSD.
What is your target in term of timing ? Are there any plans to work on othe=
r hardening subjects (like for example improving W^X) ? Do you have any roa=
dmap in terms of features and deadlines ?

We would be interested to take part to live discussions as a vendor if some=
 are planned.

Internally we have some plans to work on this subject with deadlines by the=
 end of the year.

Thanks to all of you for working on this subject,
Damien

--
Damien Deville
IPS Technical Leader

Stormshield
2/6 Avenue de l'Horizon, Bat. 6 - FR 59650 Villeneuve d'Ascq

----- Le 14 Mai 20, =C3=A0 10:00, Marcin Wojtas mw@semihalf.com a =C3=A9cri=
t :

| Hi,
|=20
| wt., 5 maj 2020 o 12:03 Marcin Wojtas <mw@semihalf.com> napisa=C5=82(a):
|>
|> pon., 4 maj 2020 o 17:24 Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org> napisa=C5=82(a):

|> > There aren't a lot of spare cycles to go around, but putting
|> > automation in place so that tests like this can easily be performed is
|> > certainly something that's in the Jenkins team's domain.
|>
|> Of course the available bandwidth is a limitation, but IMO we should
|> start with defining the requirements so that eventually it could be
|> added to the backlog.

|> > In the fullness of time I think it's important, but my opinion is that
|> > it's really functional tests that we need, for enabling features in
|> > -CURRENT; we can work on benchmarking before and after changing a
|> > default.
|>
|> Understood. Since there seem to be no blockers / major objections at
|> this point, how do you suggest proceed with the topic? How about
|> having a live discussion with interested parties, so that we can
|> establish at least a rough plan allowing to achieve the enablement of
|> this (and possibly other) feature in a foreseeable perspective?

|=20
| Any thoughts about having a live discussion on the ALSR/PIE enablement to=
pic?
|=20