Date:      Wed, 06 Jun 2001 17:00:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Possible VM patch..

On 06-Jun-01 Andrew Gallatin wrote:

> John Baldwin writes:
>  > For those people still having some VM problems, please try out the patch
> at
>  > http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/patches/vm.patch and let me know if it helps.
>  > Basically, it sticks the swapper, vmdaemon, and pagedaemon completely back
>  > under Giant for now.  Some of the proc locking currently out from under
> Giant
>  > in those isn't really safe yet and won't be until the proc locking is
> finished
>  > (among other things).
>  >

> Still no joy here.  It dropped down to the SRM with the RA at XentMM
> (../../alpha/alpha/exception.s:88) about 1/2 way through a buildworld
> (no -j's).  I had to steal the console by killing the kermit I had
> running in the office, so I have no idea what message were emitted.
>
> I suspect it was another ksp not valid halt.  Which means that it is
> still faulting in the fault path and recursing until it exhausts the
> stack space.
>
> This is a UP kernel.  As luck would have it, I have an assert in my
> trap.c to catch this sort of thing, but it uses kernnest & is dependent
> on SMP.  D'oh!
>
> Drew

I just got a panic on my UP machine.  This one is a very weird panic that is
only triggered when the witness code gets its internal per-process lock lists
out of sync.  I wish it was easier to trigger.  It may be a witness bug or it
may be some sort of data corruption.  :(  The NULL vm_object panic in
vm_fault1() that I'm getting on the dual Rawhide seems fairly reproducible, so
I've added in a bunch of KTR tracepoints to see if I can narrow it down.