Date:      Fri, 22 Jun 2001 07:38:52 -0500
From:      "Jacques A. Vidrine" <n@nectar.com>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
Cc:        Stanley Hopcroft <Stanley.Hopcroft@IPAustralia.gov.au>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SSH and/or Kerberos experience

On Fri, Jun 22, 2001 at 11:31:40AM +0200, Sheldon Hearn wrote:
> Use both, in other words, Kerberized SSH.  Kerberos scores you
> ticket-based authentication, while SSH scores you an encrypted session.

Of course,  Kerberized applications  (e.g. TELNET) typically  also use
encryption of the  data stream.  Currently SSH  offers more algorithms
for this, though.

Personally  I  use all  three  of  Kerberized  SSH, TELNET,  and  FTP,
depending upon what I want to  accomplish.  I find SSH very convenient
as an rsh/rcp replacement; I prefer TELNET's terminal handling; I find
FTP best for large transfers and remote file management.

Cheers,
--
Jacques Vidrine / n@nectar.com / jvidrine@verio.net / nectar@FreeBSD.org