Date:      Fri, 7 May 1999 10:41:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Youse <cyouse@cybersites.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Stability concerns in latest -STABLEs.

I've read a few messages in the last week or so that indicate some sort of
filesystem problems in the latest (post-March) -STABLEs.  Unfortunately,
the timing couldn't be worse.

I've been rallying behind FreeBSD at my company for the last three months
or so;  I've been slowly-but-surely replacing their current production
Linux servers with FreeBSD, not for religious reasons, but because I truly
believe that it performs more predictably and reliably in production
environments.

This weekend I was planning to move our most important, heavily-trafficked
web site to an SMP FreeBSD server from its current Linux home.  I'm trying
to decide if I should stay with 3.1-RELEASE until the -STABLE problems
have been resolved -- so I suppose my question is this: have others been
experiencing serious stability problems with 3.1-STABLE of late, or are
these isolated incidents?  Stated differently, are others out there
running 3.1-STABLE on production servers in relatively
filesystem-intensive, sustained load situations who can put my mind at
ease?

I don't want to destroy _my_ credibility, or spoil any hope for a future
with FreeBSD at this company by watching everything fall over due to a
transient bug.

Chuck Youse
Director of Systems
cyouse@cybersites.com