Date:      Fri, 28 Mar 1997 16:25:40 -0800
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Richard Tobin <richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
Cc:        Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>, multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: newest bt848 driver

>From The Desk Of Richard Tobin :
> Something else that needs to be changed is in METEORSETGEO.  The magic

Well thats what you are supposed to do 8)

> numbers 910.0, 480.0 and 240.0 are NTSC-specific.  I guess different

Read the data sheets which I made available to you pending upon which
input format  is detected by the B848 the calculations in meteorsetgeo need
to be calculated accordingly.

> numbers can be used depending on the format; this would mean that users
> would have to be sure to set the format *before* setting the geometry.

The card is fully capable of detecting the input format:

Register number 4 (BKTR_IFORM)
bits 2  - 0:

	000 auto format
 	001 NTSC M
	010 NTSC w/o pedestal (Japan)
	011 PAL (B, D, G, H, I) input format
	100 PAL (M) input format
        101 PAL (N) input format
	110 SECAM input format
	111 Reserved

> Alternatively the driver could re-set the geometry when the format
> was changed.
>
> By the way, what is the magic number 1.21875 in METEORSETGEO.  Is it

Good Question! The formula in the Bt848 databook is wrong so I came up with
 my own formula 8)

> the ratio of total horizontal pixels to display pixels?  If so, that's
> different for PAL too.

Glad that you are volunteering

	Good Luck,
	Amancio