Date:      Fri, 5 Dec 1997 16:09:21 -0500
From:      Charlie Root <root@scsn.net>
To:        Michael Imor <umji@fang.cs.sunyit.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: linux emulation problem

On Thu, Dec 04, 1997 at 11:03:09PM +0000, Michael Imor wrote:
> I'm having a problem with linux emulation on a machine running
> FreeBSD-current/SMP. Quake.x11 hangs after the "Console initialized.",
> however quake.x11 -nolan (or -noudp) works fine (with sound thanks to
> Amancio!).  Same thing for StarOffice and a couple of other apps that use
> networking under linux emulation.  Any ideas?
>
> Mike

    I'm seeing the same problem with the Linux RealPlayer, I think...  It
looks like there is a problem in the Linux emulation with regard to DNS
lookups.  Try running tcpdump when you start quake...  I expect you will
see quake do a DNS lookup, followed by an answer from your nameserver, but
Linux apps don't seem to be able to recognize the answer and just keep
querying.  It's been suggested to me that one workaround is to find out
what host the app is trying to look up, and create a /compat/linux/etc/hosts
file with the address of that host, so a network lookup is not necessary.