Date:      Mon, 22 Feb 2010 16:37:59 +0000
From:      Mike Clarke <jmc-freebsd2@milibyte.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>, Aiza <aiza21@comclark.com>
Subject:   Re: dump warning msgs??

On Monday 22 February 2010, Jerry McAllister wrote:

> I don't know the exact algorithm dump uses for sorting the inodes,
> but this looks like a file was deleted between the time the list
> was made and the time dump got to reading it.

I expect it's the inode for the temporary snapshot in the .snap
directory. According to the man page this snapshot is unlinked as soon
as the dump starts. I assume this is immediately after creating the
list of inodes to be backed up, in which case it's in the list but no
longer available when the data is dumped.

I see the "expected xxx, got yyy" type of message every time I do a
restore from a snapshot dump but it's never caused any problems.

I've just done a test dump with the -L option and monitored the contents
of the partition's .snap directory, a file named dump_snapshot with
inode number 4 appeared as I started the dump and then disappeared. I
then tried to restore the entire dump to a temporary destination and
got a message "expected next file 1319089, got 4".

As I expected, the .snapshot directory in the dump was empty with no
sign of the dump_snapshot file so I'm assuming that restore put out the
warning message when it's list of inodes suggested that number 4 should
be the next one but the next sequential file in the dump corresponded
to inode 1319089. The wording of the message does however suggest that
it actually found the file for inode 4 in the dump when the list of
inode numbers indicated that the next sequential file should have been
1319089. I was anticipating the message to be "expected next file 4,
got 1319089"

--
Mike Clarke