Date:      Mon, 12 Aug 2002 17:04:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, sziszi@bsd.hu
Subject:   Re: Weirdness trying -STABLE -> -CURRENT

>Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 21:41:19 +0200
>From: Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@bsd.hu>

>First off, sorry for the lot of snippage but this mail was really
>long...

Yeah, it was; sorry.  That's what I get for trying to be complete.  :-)

I was able to re-do the steps, and evtually get to a point:

freebeast(5.0-C)[1] df
Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/ad0s3a    158767    63620    82446    44%    /
devfs               1        1        0   100%    /dev
/dev/ad0s3e   1873113   709999  1013265    41%    /usr
/dev/ad0s4h  27728233 11141233 14368742    44%    /common
/dev/ad0s4g   2032839   487508  1382704    26%    /var
procfs              4        4        0   100%    /proc
freebeast(5.0-C)[2] uname -a
FreeBSD freebeast.catwhisker.org 5.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #0: Mon Aug 12 15:34:30 PDT 2002     root@freebeast.catwhisker.org:/common/S3/obj/usr/src/sys/FREEBEAST  i386
freebeast(5.0-C)[3]

which I consider "success".  (Well, assuming I can use the resulting
system to rebuild itself, anyway.)

In this last attempt, I still got shell dying a rather un-graceful
death, probably (still) as a result of a SIGSYS.  The key difference
this time was that after this happened, I hit RESET on the machine, and
when it started to come up, I interrupted the process to boot
single-user mode, and inserted some extra steps (in pseudo-unidiff
format relative to present contents of the relevant section of UPDATING):

 	To upgrade from 4.x-stable to current
 	-------------------------------------
 	make buildworld
 	make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
 	cp src/sys/${MACHINE_ARCH}/conf/GENERIC.hints /boot/device.hints [2]
 	make installkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
 	reboot in single user [3]
 	mergemaster -p          [5]
 	make installworld
+	<hit RESET>
+	reboot in single user [6]
+ 	make installworld
 	mergemaster             [4]
 	[1]
 	<reboot>
+
+	[6] From the bootblocks, boot -s, and then do
+		fsck -p
+		reboot in single user [3]

I do not claim that this is optimal, or that the result will actually be
solid enough to survive a "make buildworld", but it seems to me that the
instructions in UPDATING for the "upgrade from 4.x-stable to current"
case are not adequate in and of themselves as they presently stand (at
least in soome cases, mine among them), so I offer the above as a
possible modification that might help some folks.

I will save my logs (typescripts, really) of what I did for a few days,
in case anyone would care to review them.  Note that this amounts to
about 10 MB of data, before you ask to get a copy.

Thanks,
david       (links to my resume at http://www.catwhisker.org/~david)
To paraphrase David Hilbert, there can be no conflicts between Microsoft
and the discipline of systems administration, since they have nothing in
common.