Date:      Thu, 29 Mar 2012 16:15:59 +0000
From:      Chris Rees <utisoft@gmail.com>
To:        "Chris.H" <bsd.chris@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Reverse engineering; How to...

On 28 Mar 2012 21:23, "Chris.H" <bsd.chris@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
>  Over the past year, in an effort to convert my server farm to wireless,
I've purchased some half a dozen USB wireless dongles, at a total cost of
~150.00. Unfortunately, none of them are (yet) supported =97 I know, I know=
,
I've already had this debate with both dev's, & users. On the up-side, I've
devised a resource that will greatly assist would-be adopters in selecting,
and researching these, and other adapters _currently supported_ under under
FreeBSD. That said; the adapter I most recently purchased, is quite nice
(Cisco(Linksys) AE2500 Wireless-N).
> Boasts 2.5/5GHz @300Mbps. I figured (wrongly) because Linksys is so well
supported on FreeBSD, that the likelihood of this being supported would be
good. At any rate, given it's not, and because I _do_ have the Window$
drivers on the install CD. What are the possibilities I can
reverse-engineer the drivers into a FreeBSD loadable module?
> I can unpack the setup file to extract the .sys files. While I _could_
utilize the ndisulator to load them, that's not my goal. Should I unpack
the .sys file, and attempt to decompile/disassemble it? Or attempt to load
it, and dump it from memory?
> =97 hacker/cracker advice _strongly_ desired =97

You've had great answers from a few people on the native driver front, but
if you're desperate for a short term fix ndiswrapper has worked miracles
for me in the past.

Chris