Date:      Thu, 4 Apr 2002 22:19:20 -0800
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>, <benjamin@macguire.net>
Subject:   Re: hub.freebsd.org spam policy

On 5 Apr 2002, at 15:17, Greg 'groggy' Lehey boldly uttered:

> On Thursday,  4 April 2002 at 21:29:42 -0800, Philip J. Koenig wrote:

> >> There are many possible reasons for that.  In general, we don't have
> >> too much sympathy for people who have configuration problems and then
> >> blame us for rejecting their mail.
> >
> > I do not have a "configuration problem".
>
> You carry on to say that you do.
>
> > If you read what I wrote, you would have seen that I have been using
> > variations of the same email client for around 7 years and have
> > NEVER had this problem before freebsd.org decided to implement this
> > filtering.
>
> The problem was there, it just went unnoticed.
>
> >> Still, as others have said, the method we're using isn't ideal, and
> >> if you can come up with a better one, we're all ears.
> >
> > With all due respect, that remains to be seen.  If you'd like copies
> > of my correspondence with the freebsd.org postmaster as an example of
> > this alleged 'all ears' policy (and with their approval), I'd be glad
> > to provide them.
>
> No, I told you what I'd like to see: actions, not words.
>
> >> But you need to come up with the better one first before you'll get
> >> too much attention.
> >
> > There are a plethora of methods in use today for blocking spam.  The
> > problem in my view are the methods which PURPORT to be "spam
> > blockers", but which are actually "wing and a prayer" things based on
> > faulty and over-generalized assumptions.
>
> Ah, yes, but that's your view.  You haven't come up with a good
> alternative.
>
> > (it now appears that the lists require subscription confirmation,
> > which has been standard practice elsewhere around the net for years)
>
> Ah, you've noticed, have you?  That's been in place for years.
>
> >> If this is a DNS problem, it has nothing to do with the client.  But
> >> is it DNS?  What message do you get with the bounce?
> >
> > I'll tell you exactly what the problem was.
>
> Thank you.
>
> > The filters at hub.freebsd.org are designed to block *anything* that
> > has a message- ID that ends in "localhost".  EVEN TO
> > POSTMASTER.. which is a very rude practice.
>
> OK, and possibly agreed.  I suspect that's an accident.  Are you
> volunteering to fix it?
>
> > I have been using various versions of this email client (Pegasus
> > Mail) since around 1995, and as far as I know, my messages have been
> > formatted that way for the last seven years and I have never *once*
> > gotten a complaint or a bounceback due to that reason... until now.
>
> Yes, that's about the fourth time you've said that.
>
> > Now the guy who answers postmaster@freebsd.org says the reasoning
> > behind this is that various spammers supposedly use "@localhost" in
> > their Message-ID headers.  But THE PROBLEM with this is that lots of
> > us who have *nothing to do with spam* also do this.. and have for
> > years.
>
> Yup.  But you can reconfigure.  It seems that you have done.
>
> > As far as I'm concerned, "spam filters" should do just that: FILTER
> [...]

I gave you examples, I provided the reasons, showed you the RFCs,
talked about specific alternatives - you snipped *everything* that
supported my position.  Sounds to me like your mind was made up
before you wrote the first word.

I don't know about "terminating the thread", but it does seem prudent
for you to just stop bothering to contribute to it, because clearly
your ears and eyes are welded shut.  It's a better corroboration of
my original observations than I could have written myself.

Phil

PS: note that I didn't snip and mangle your post to death.

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium