Date:      Wed, 04 May 2016 11:31:28 -0700
From:      "Chris H" <bsd-lists@bsdforge.com>
To:        <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: old ports/packages

On Wed, 4 May 2016 00:03:41 -0700 Greg Byshenk <freebsd@byshenk.net> wrote

> On Wed, May 04, 2016 at 01:44:29PM +0800, Julian Elischer wrote:
> > On 3/05/2016 2:31 PM, Mathieu Arnold wrote:
> > > +--On 3 mai 2016 12:02:13 +0800 Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org>

> > > after |> that will not work with it.  At all.

> > > You can generate your own packages from the ports tree, just not with
> > > pkg_install, it was deprecated three or four years ago, and remove 19
> > > months ago.
>
> > Of course I can create NEW packages..  I want to generate OLD style
> > packages..
> >
> > what's so hard to understand about that?  if a company has old
> > packages build into it's infrastructure....
> >
> > and has to create old style packages of "proprietary stuff" to send
> > out to appliances out in the field then you are breaking them.
>
> I'm not a developer, so anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong
> in any of this, but...
>
> Julian, you -can- create old-style packages (eg: of proprietary
> internal software); you just have to do it based on an old-style
> ports tree (which you can checkout, if you need it, as noted
> above).
>
> What you cannot do is create old-style packages from a new ports
> tree. This is because the ports infrastructure has been changing
> since pkg_install was deprecated, and pkg_install simply will not
> work with the current ports tree (and, as I understand it, cannot
> practically be modified in order to work with it).
>
> But again, you -can- still build old-style packages if that is
> required: just check out a ports tree that works with old-style
> packages and use that to package your "proprietary stuff".
The above is pretty much correct.
Most of the (black) magic is within ports/Mk. A banner was injected
(added in the ports framework) when the EOL date had been finally
determined for the old pkg system, and then, fired upon each attempt
to use the old pkg system. I can't remember the date, but I seem to
remember the revision being mentioned, earlier in this thread.
I mention all this, because depending on which revision you are
currently attempting to use, if it's at or before that revision, you
can simply diff (earlier) Mk/ against newer revisions. Noting the
changes, and compensating accordingly. This is, of course, a PITA.
But depending upon the number of ports you actually need to work
with. This approach may be worth it. A determination, only *you*
can decide. :)

Hope this helps!

--Chris