Date:      Wed, 5 Apr 2000 11:23:10 +0400
From:      Nikolai Saoukh <nms@otdel-1.org>
To:        Alex Belits <abelits@phobos.illtel.denver.co.us>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unicode on FreeBSD

On Tue, Apr 04, 2000 at 12:08:39PM -0700, Alex Belits wrote:

>   People with genuine i18n needs such as linguists or people with genuine
> i18n needs such as non-English users? Linguists don't see Unicode as being
> sufficient, and everyone else uses local encodings/charsets. I agree that
> local encodings are very limiting in the form they exist now, however
> they, not Unicode, are standards used in real life. If some encapsulation
> format (not as limited as iso 2022 and not as restrictive as MIME
> multipart) will be created to support multiple
> charsets/encodings/languages in one document in labeled chunks, the same
> problem would be solved with minimal changes in existing software and
> minimal document conversion efforts. This solution will be far superior to
> Unicode, and even for "web" use it can be made compatible with charsets
> support in existing browsers.

You are comparing apples and oranges. Read carefully Unicode authors papers.
Unicode is just plain character enumaration, nothing else. All i18n and related
problems must be solved some other means above unicode level. It is pity
that unicode authors succumbered to pressure and started to add features
like directionality, ....