Date:      Wed, 27 Apr 2005 13:10:05 -0600
From:      Fred Clift <fclift@verio.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   EFI network boot loader for ia32?

This might better belong on -questions, this isn't the most technical
question, but it is obscure...

I've recently been loaned an eval server indirectly from intel.  It is
an SR-2400.  We've been using SR-2300s for a while now and have been
doing custom network installs via PXE.

I note that these new servers have ia32 EFI support and that the only
net-booting they support is via EFI.  I can DHCP boot the box via the
EFI boot manager menu that comes up, I get an address and it tftp's a
file from the right server but of course the pxeboot bootfile doesn't
work.  I downloaded the indel EFI SDK and it has some sample EFI
binaries (a test binary, one that draws some cute little boxes on the
screen etc) and I can boot and run those just fine...

I understand that EFI netbooting works fine on (was designed to work
on?) ia64 boxes - is there support for netbooting via EFI on ia32?

I see /usr/src/sys/boot/EFI - can I somehow build a loader.efi that
would work via netboot for ia32?

Thanks in advance for any help...

Fred Clift