Date:      Sat, 13 Jan 1996 10:51:25 -0500
From:      Brad Parker <brad@American.COM>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com, multimedia@freebsd.org, multimedia@rah.star-gate.com, brad@mozart.american.com
Subject:   Re: vat: no audio output

It's an interesting artifact of the vat code that if the audio open fails,
then the VU meters don't do anything even if audio is being received from
the net...

(so, for example, if /dev/audio is not accessible to your process, because
it's chmod 600, vat looks dead even if you are getting audio from the net)
-brad