Date:      Mon, 1 Mar 1999 14:50:55 +1100
From:      Jim Mock <jim@corp.au.triax.com>
To:        Grinch416@aol.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: files

[copied back to the questions list..]

On Sun, 28 Feb 1999 at 22:18:12 -0500, Grinch416@aol.com wrote:
> i already read that all i know is that last time i made a
> installation disk for a friend i downloaded 2 files all i am asking
> is are there 2 files i need to down load or is there only 1
> now........and believe me i read all or most of the faq's and
> handbooks

Please include the list on any replies.  Now.. you say you read the
handbook, yet if you had, you'd know what you need to get.

The following is from the URL I gave you in my last message.  The
second paragraph at http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/install.html says
this..

	Regardless of the installation media you choose, you can get
	started by creating the installation disks as described below.

Note it says installation _disks_.  Further down that page in the
instructions, step #3 says this..

	3. If you don't have a CDROM distribution then simply read
	the installation boot image information to find out what files
	you need to download first.

And the 'installation boot image information' is a link.  Clicking on
that link takes you to the README.TXT file in the floppies directory
on the ftp site.  The first two paragraphs read..

	For a normal CDROM or network installation, all you need to
	copy onto actual floppies from this directory are the kern.flp
	and mfsroot.flp images (for 1.44MB floppies).

	Get two blank, freshly formatted floppies and image copy
	kern.flp onto one and mfsroot.flp onto the other.  These
	images are NOT DOS files!  You cannot simply copy them to a
	DOS or UFS floppy as regular files, you need to "image" copy
	them to the floppy with fdimage.exe under DOS (see the tools/
	directory on your CDROM or FreeBSD FTP mirror) or the `dd'
	command in UNIX.

Your answer is right there.  You need boot.flp, mfsroot.flp, and
fdimage.exe.  If you had read like you said you did, you would've
known that.

Now, I'm not trying to be an asshole or whatever by pointing all of
this out, but if you expect others to help you, you need to at least
be willing to help yourself, and NOT tell you've read the docs when
it's blatantly obvious that you haven't.  Sure I could've spoonfed you
the answer that you were looking for, but I was hoping that you'd go
and find it yourself, since it was right there in the handbook.

Btw, the reason this was sent back to questions is hopefully someone
else who is in a postition similar to yours will find the answer
themselves (especially when it's _easy_ to find) instead of asking and
getting a lecture from me on helping themselves if they want help from
others =)

--
: Jim Mock			| [jim@corp.au.triax.com]	:
: System Administrator		| http://www.triax.com/		: