Date:      Wed, 21 Apr 1999 18:01:37 +1000
From:      Andrew Reilly <andrew@lake.com.au>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Pentium-III and FreeBSD?

Hi all,

I've been meaning to ask this for a while, but it took the question about
the K6-III to goad me into action:

I'm currently running FreeBSD-3.1-STABLE on a P-III, and yes, it's damn
fast, but it's really just a P-II at this stage, isn't it?

Does anyone know of any efforts in the direction of

a) tweaking as to understand the new (KNI SIMD float) instructions.
b) tweaking cc (egcs) to emit those, if it can (much less likely, my guess)
c) tweaking the kernel to save and restore the new state on task switches.

I guess that as long as (a) doesn't exist, there won't be any programs
using the new instructions or registers, so (c) doesn't matter (yet).
Working up some KNI BLAS routines is on my agenda, though.

--
Andrew