Date:      Fri, 17 Jan 1997 01:46:37 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Adam David <adam@veda.is>
To:        proff@suburbia.net
Cc:        phk@critter.DK.tfs.COM, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipfw patches to test

> > It would be a simple matter to revise these patches to use "from [not] "
> > instead of "from [!]". Purists would complain that "from !192.168.23.0" is
> > ugly syntax anyway, just as I strongly dislike "!from 192.168.23.0".
>
> Well, no, it wouldn't actually because you may have a host called "not",
> this is why I suggest "not from", appart from the fact that "from not" is
> not gramatical.
>
> Cheers,
> Julian <proff@iq.org>

A good point about the hostname, which might be why I originally went with
the '!' prefix. However, since "not" is now documented as a keyword, the
obvious way to address such a host would be by its canonical name.

I favour "from not" because we are describing mathematical logic using
words borrowed from the english language for this purpose. If we were
truly writing it in english, the overall syntax would be substantially
more different than just saying "not from", and we might have more
flexibility at defining complex rulesets in poetic modes of expression.

--
Adam David <adam@veda.is>