Date:      Wed, 6 Dec 2000 22:17:23 +0100 (CET)
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=E9rard_Roudier?= <groudier@club-internet.fr>
To:        Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
Cc:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sym SCSI card problems during settle wait

On Thu, 7 Dec 2000, Dan Langille wrote:

> On 6 Dec 2000, at 15:30, David Kelly wrote:
>=20
> > On Thu, Dec 07, 2000 at 09:22:31AM +1300, Dan Langille wrote:
> > > On 6 Dec 2000, at 20:14, G=E9rard Roudier wrote:
> > >=20
> > >=20
> > > I checked it.  It's set to INTA.  Thanks.  Could there be a correspon=
ding=20
> > > item in the BIOS?
> >=20
> > Dan, you did check that nothing was on IRQ 2 as IRQ 9 is really
> > IRQ 2?
>=20
> At the suggestion of someone offlist, I've had success with 3.5-
> RELEASE boot disks.  Now I'm putting the disks back into the box to=20
> do a proper install.  Watch this space.

In 3.5, it was probably the `ncr' driver and not the `sym' that attached
your SCSI card. The `ncr' uses a clock and timely polls the interrupt
status register of the PCI-SCSI chip. This was probably intended to reap
lost interrupts in early time of broken PCI bridging implementations. But
this has also the effect of silently band-aiding chips that have interrupt
wiring misconfigured or just broken.

The `sym' driver hasn't such an interrupt reaping clock. I donnot want
unaware user to run such band-aiding for years instead of having caught
and fixed such INT problem on day one. Instead, dummy PCI reads are
theorically in proper place in both SCSI scripts and C codes for not
losing interrupts in presence of posted transactions (not too broken
PCI-HOST bridges assumed). This works so since 5 years under Linux, btw.

  G=E9rard.