Date:      18 Nov 1997 20:43:22 +0100
From:      Peter Mutsaers <plm@xs4all.nl>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: async fs?

    c> On 17 Nov, Nicolai Petri wrote:

    >> Greetings All,
    >>
    >> I read something about mounting a drive in async mode, I
    >> wondered if this will give me a performance increase on my
    >> proxy server.. And is it possible to do it on all filesystems
    >> ??

    c> Are you aware that losing your system while you are running
    c> async is usually fairly safe (often you lose no files, or if
    c> you were very busy doing disk activity, maybe a few), but if
    c> you are mounted async, you could possibly lose much, much more?
    c> It'll certainly increase performance, but you'd better be
    c> willing to pay the price.

I always use async for everything; it speeds up things a lot.
Since I make regular backups it is no problem if I would loose my
system once and it is worth it.

Even then, in 2 years use of FreeBSD and some crashes I've never lost
a filesystem.

--
 /\_/\
( o.o ) Peter Mutsaers  |  Abcoude (Utrecht), |  Trust me, I know