Date:      Fri, 23 Nov 2012 12:24:58 -0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org>
To:        Garrett Cooper <yanegomi@gmail.com>
Cc:        Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>, Benjamin Kaduk <bjk@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: old style kernel configuration

On 11/22/12 1:17 PM, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 5:58 PM, Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com> wrote:
>> I've been working on removing obsolete information various documents.
>> While going through older articles I noticed a few references to the
>> "old style" kernel configuration involving running config(1) manually.
>>
>> Is there any value in keeping this documented as an alternative to
>> "make buildkernel" or should it be treated as an implementation detail?
>      For new/non-advanced users, this shouldn't necessarily be exposed
> except as an implementation detail and a historical artifact; more
> directions, not less serve to confuse the masses -> see git as a
> perfect example of this with all of its workflows.
>      I think the question that should be asked first is: who's your
> target audience (remember, hackers are generally the more and not less
> advanced target audience)? Once this question can be answered, I think
> it would become apparent either to you and other reviewers what the
> text should say.

The canonical way to build a kernel on its own is using config(8).

The Makefile acts as a convenient wrapper for this when you want
to make a kernel as part of a build, or to redo a kernel that was a
part of a build.

nearly all kernel developers I know use the config method, and it's widly
known and documented.

it is however a good way to get mismatching kernel and userland
but that's not what we are discussing.
Julian