Date:      Tue, 11 Dec 2012 20:18:51 +0100
From:      Alex Dupre <ale@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Chris Rees <utisoft@gmail.com>
Cc:        Jeremy Messenger <mezz.freebsd@gmail.com>, Kimmo Paasiala <kpaasial@gmail.com>, FreeBSD Ports <ports@freebsd.org>, Bryan Drewery <bdrewery@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [RFC/HEADSUP] portmaster default -w (preserve shared libraries)

Chris Rees ha scritto:
> I get what you're saying, but please consider which is easier to reverse-
> deleting an accidentally saved library, or restoring an accidentally
> deleted library?

Unluckily it's not so simple...

> Defaults should be safe.  I was bitten by this with pcre- sometimes we
> can't update all our ports at one time.
>
> How isn't it correct?

For simple ports it may works correctly, but for others it could happen
that finally both revisions are linked into a library or executable
(because one !recompiled dependency depends on the old version and
another recompiled dependency depends on the new version) and this is
not good. So the correct thing is to always recompile ports to get the
new version, the 'keep old libs' flags should be used with caution (this
is why I prefer it to be opt-in and not opt-out).

> We still keep src libraries around until we make
> delete-old-libs.  Why should ports be different?

Also for src the policy is: don't recompile any ports after an upgrade,
or recompile them all, exactly for this reason.

--
Alex Dupre