Date:      Sun, 27 Sep 1998 20:07:38 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
To:        William Woods <wwoods@cybcon.com>
Cc:        FreebSD Current <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Questions about elf.....

On Sun, 27 Sep 1998, William Woods wrote:

# I am running -current elf. My question is this, I have several packages that
# are XFree86 dependant. I understand that now XFree will compile elf, my
# question is, when replacing a.out packages with elf, must I first uninstall the
# a.out package before I compile the elf version, or will the elf version
# automatically replace the aoout ones?

Yes and no. :)  You should really remove the old a.out ones before
installing the ELF ones, IMHO.  However you can do something like
this:

make FORCE_PKG_REGISTER=YES install

and the new ELF port will write itself over the old a.out one.

Beware if you take step two you will leave some old a.out cruft
around that's just wasting space.  You will also mess up the
dependencies I think.

Steve

# Thanks........
#
# PS - Great work guys !!
#
# ---------------------
# AOL IM - BSDMAN1
# William Woods <wwoods@cybcon.com>
# Date: 27-Sep-98 / Time: 15:48:51
# goto to: http//www.freebsd.org.
# --> FreeBSD 3.0 CURRENT ELF <--
#
#
# To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org
# with "unsubscribe freebsd-current" in the body of the message
#