Date:      Sat, 02 Jan 1999 14:15:07 -0500
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Jonathan Smith <jonsmith@fourier.physics.purdue.edu>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Y2K, Y 2038?

Jonathan Smith wrote in message ID
<Pine.BSF.3.96.990102112632.2884A-100000@fourier.physics.purdue.edu>:
> the world is freaking out over it.  Perhaps an introduction of a 64 bit
> time, or larger under a different name, and have BSD start working over
> towards the new name now and deprecating the old time variable?

While the world is still using 32bit CPUs the move to 64bit time_t will be
expensive in terms of performance. We could probably make the move on the DEC
Alpha, but until ppl move to the Merced (or whatever 64bit P.O.S. Intel
produces) I don't think many people will like to take the performance
degredation now.

Personally, my thoughs on how to do this are to have new syscalls which return
64 bit time_t variables, and you choose at compile time which ones you get
(i.e. sorta like the way solaris 7 has done things)

Gary