Date:      Mon, 20 Mar 1995 19:27:18 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <syssgm@devetir.qld.gov.au>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        syssgm@devetir.qld.gov.au
Subject:   Re: Filesystem clean flag

David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM> writes;

>>> But then, there should also be a way to get around this.  The super
>>> user is assumed to know what he's doing -- and be it for the only
>>> reason to save just one [apparently good] file out of a totally
>>> damaged disk before newfs'ing it.
>>
>>Why would he need to mount it writeable for that ?
>
>   Yes, this is why I said "writable" above. I would always want read-only to
>work. ...but like I just said in a previous message, an option to force the
>system to mount writable it wouldn't be unreasonable.

If you don't provide this option, I'll just have to add it.  Certainly a
restriction on mounting dirty broken filesystems read/write would hamper my
current attempt to reconstruct my severly damaged filesystems.  It wouldn't
make it impossible, just that bit more painful.

Perhaps some weeks ago I would have agreed that writing to broken filesystems
was pointless, but now that I'm up to my armpits in it, its just as handy
as writing to healthy filesystems.  The principle that (with suitable flags)
root jolly well knows exactly what he/she is doing should be upheld until the
bitter end.

BTW, does anyone have any disk-cruising/filesystem-fixing programs that are
friendlier than fsck?  My 1.1 system went mad and overwrote every root
directory and their superblocks and a good number of other (apparently) random
blocks.  I think I upset my tape drive while reading past EOD...

Stephen.