Date:      Wed, 5 Jul 1995 16:34:47 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        babkin@hq.icb.chel.su, bde@zeta.org.au
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Minor for Digiboard driver

>I took the scheme for minor numbers from sio, the only thing I added
>is 2 bits of card number :

>	not_used{14} card_number{2} major{8} sio_like_minor{8}

>The only problem is that I don't know how to name the special files to
>be consistent with existing conventions. I know Peter Wemm who wrote
>Specialix card driver had the same problem and I'll ask him about his
>decision.

There doesn't seem to be a good way.  In the cyclades driver I squeezed
everything into `major{8} sio_like_minor{8}'.  This allows only 2 cards
of 8 or 16 ports each and there is a gap in the numbering if the first
card has only 8 ports.  Eventually we'll have to support either
ttyd0-ttyd999... (common namespace for all drivers; card number doesn't
show) and the corresponding cua's and control devices, or
tty{driver_name}d{device_number_as_in_config}{optional_subdevice_number}.
I guess we need devfs and both.

Bruce