Date:      Thu, 27 Apr 2017 07:38:01 +0000
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6722@twc.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        Jason Harris <jharris@widomaker.com>
Subject:   Re: Downloading with lynx or w3m, how to download as is, without gratuitous gzip

> I have never seen lynx compress an uncompressed file.  However, if lynx sends a header that it can _accept_ gzip encoding, which I believe it might, the webserver can easily gzip the contents to save bandwidth.  lynx could
possibly be saving that compressed content to disk, with a .gz extension...

> Personally, I use elinks (and used to be its FreeBSD maintainer) way more often than lynx.

> Can you send an URL to recreate the problem?

URL where I was stung was
https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/x11/xcb-proto/files
with two patch files in that directory.

I was thinking about using links or elinks instead of lynx, but textproc/docbook-tools uses www/lynx as a dependency.

If I don't want links' crude graphics implementation, elinks might be smaller and good enough.

Building links with directfb option can take a long time; one is better off with Firefox or Seamonkey.

I also emailed the upstream maintainer, Thomas Dickey (dickey@invisible-island.net).

Tom