Date:      Fri, 19 May 2000 06:00:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Inedible Buddhas" <ancipital@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: alpha/18664: Install kernel freezes on startup

The following reply was made to PR alpha/18664; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Inedible Buddhas" <ancipital@hotmail.com>
To: wkb@chello.nl
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 05:58:26 PDT

 >TGA video is not supported for the console. Try a simple PCI VGA card or
 >serial console and check what happens.

 Oddness. It's the standard video card in the Alphaserver 400 as
 shipped, as I recall. Probably my fault for assuming that since it
 was listed as supported, that I didn't have to check each component
 individually against the list, too. Moral: RTFM.. :)

 I have found an old ET4000, and some fairly common cirrus logic card,
 I just hope that they are members of that subset of devices which work
 with the alpha.

 Thanks for the help, and the fast response! I will tinker tonight, and see
 if I can't get a little further.

 Regards,

 -a-

 (apologies for the crappy wrapping/formatting. For various reasons,
 I must use hotmail for now!)