Date:      Wed, 27 Oct 1999 23:54:42 +0200
From:      Harold Gutch <logix@foobar.franken.de>
To:        Mark <maxiter@inetu.net>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: su-ing a user remotely

On Wed, Oct 27, 1999 at 04:55:30PM -0400, Mark wrote:

> I'm looking for a tool which I think I'll have to end up making myself.
>
> What I'm looking for....  Let's say there are two logins on a FreeBSD
> machine.  On ttyp0 is root, and user fred is logged in on ttyp1.  Fred
> can't su to root because he's not in wheel, and he doesn't/won't know the
> root pass.  Assuming I'm logged in a root, I'd like to be able to "bless"
> fred from my ttyp0 and 'upgrade' his login to root.
>
> Is this feasible or programatically realistic?  Is there such a tool?
> What would need to get changed to make this happen?

A friend of mine shortly ago mentioned a tool he wrote some time
ago that would scan /dev/kmem for a process with a specific PID
and change the UID of this process to whatever value you wanted
it to be.

You can get it from:
  ftp://ftp.42.org/pub/FreeBSD/presto-1.1.tar.gz

Using it you should be able to change this the UID of fred's
loginshell, which should accomplish what you are looking for.

bye,
  Harold

--
<Shabby> Sleep is an abstinence syndrome wich occurs due to lack of caffein.
Wed Mar  4 04:53:33 CET 1998   #unix, ircnet