Date:      Fri, 22 Mar 2002 17:31:30 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dinesh Nambisan <dinesh@verniernetworks.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Cc:        julian@elischer.org
Subject:   Socket buffer size limitation

Hello,
 I have a situation where I'm trying to set the send and receive buffer
sizes on a socket to large values like 1 MB or so (dont ask why :-),
simple reason being we need it); and setsockopt for setting the buffer
sizes seems to fail with ENOBUFS. On looking at the code in uipc_socket.c
where it handles the SO_SNDBUF & SO_RCVBUF options, and the code in
uipc_socket2.c where it actually tries to reserve space (in sbreserve
function_, the issue seems to be a limit imposed by the code to
approx 227K or so [ sb_max(=256) * MCLBYTES / (MSIZE + MCLBYTES) ; which
works out to approx 227 K on my platform]
Was wondering if anyone could explain as to why this limit is there ?
Thanks in advance,
Dinesh Nambisan