Date:      04 Jun 2002 17:51:35 +0100
From:      "S. Roberts" <sroberts@dsl.pipex.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Parallel port problem

--=-uzge+5QoSQQkvRM5UjwW

Hello,
     This is my first post to this list. I have turned to this forum, as
I've had only the one reply to my original post to the freebsd-questions
list with no resolution.

Does *anyone* know what the following statement appearing in my
dmesg.boot file means:

ppc0: cannot reserve I/O port range

This concerns my need to configure a parallel port printer on a FreeBSD
box. Here's the relevant kernel statements compiled:

device          scbus           # SCSI bus (required)
device          da              # Direct Access (disks)

# Parallel port
device          ppc0    at isa? irq 7
device          ppbus           # Parallel port bus (required)
device          lpt             # Printer
device          plip            # TCP/IP over parallel
device          ppi             # Parallel port interface device
device          vpo             # Requires scbus and da

Uname:
$ uname -a
FreeBSD <snip> 4.6-RC FreeBSD 4.6-RC #0: Sun May 26 11:20:25 BST 2002
<snip>:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/<snip>  i386
$=20

Needless to say, I can't get parallel port printing going from the start
here.

Thanks
Stacey
--=20
Stacey Roberts B.Sc. (HONS) Computer Science
Network Systems Engineer

--=-uzge+5QoSQQkvRM5UjwW

--=-uzge+5QoSQQkvRM5UjwW--