Date:      Fri, 24 Aug 2012 12:40:03 GMT
From:      Theodor-Iulian Ciobanu <thciobanu@nth.ro>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/157418: [em] em driver lockup during boot on Supermicro X9SCM-F

The following reply was made to PR kern/157418; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Theodor-Iulian Ciobanu <thciobanu@nth.ro>
To: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: kern/157418: [em] em driver lockup during boot on Supermicro
 X9SCM-F
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 15:37:39 +0300

 Hello,

 I've stumbled upon this problem while deploying a custom kernel for
 an Optiplex 990 with Intel 82579LM onboard.

 I then thought of testing the driver available from intel.com, as it's
 newer than the one in src (I'm using 9.0-p4, which has version 7.2.3 of
 the driver, download center provides em-7.2.4), but compilation fails
 with two errors. While I was able to find a fix for the first one here:

 http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2011-March/023529.html

 I wasn't able to find anything for the second:

 if_em.c: In function 'em_enable_wakeup':
 if_em.c:4769: warning: implicit declaration of function
 'e1000_disable_gig_wol_ich8lan' if_em.c:4769: warning: nested extern
 declaration of 'e1000_disable_gig_wol_ich8lan' [-Wnested-externs] ***
 Error code 1

 That function is provided by e1000_ich8lan.c which the download is
 missing, but I don't know if it's ok to just copy it from /usr/src. As
 I have no idea if this version of the driver will actually fix my
 problem, this is where I stopped.

 If anyone can help me out with this, I'm willing to test patches to get
 the issue fixed.

 Thank you and regards,

 --
 Theo