Date:      Sun, 15 Feb 2004 04:23:14 +0100
From:      "Cyrille Lefevre" <clefevre-lists@9online.fr>
To:        "Marcelo Souza" <mpsouza@centroin.com.br>, <freebsd-config@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Large IDE disk / old BIOS

"Marcelo Souza" <mpsouza@centroin.com.br> wrote:

> I know it's an old question, but I couldn't find the answer for
> this case.
>
> Machine: Pentium MMX 233Mhz, BIOS from 1997, hanging to recognize
> the 120GB IDE disk.
> I had to close that 32GB limit jumper on disk, to continue
> the boot.
>
> Q: How to make FreeBSD recognize the total disk capacity?
>
> Trying FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE.

depending on your drive manufacturer, install a disk-manager
such as maxtor's MaxBlast
(http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/maxblast3.htm)
which upgrade your BIOS on the fly at boot time.

take care, while installing a disk-manager, all your drive
datas will be destroyed since the drive needs to be
reformated.

PS : to install MaxBlast, you need at leat one Mastor drive
on your machine. usually, a floppy disk containing the
drive manufacturer disk manager is given w/ your drive.
if not, it is installed on the drive and should be backup
before reformatting the drive... if your drive manufacturer
don't give you a disk manager, take a look at ez-drive
from Micro House (which seems to be dead !) or ontrack
(http://www.ontrack.com/diskmanager).

Regards,

Cyrille Lefevre.
--