Date:      Thu, 15 Mar 2001 14:17:48 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Khouri Giordano <kgiordano@nikondev.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Slow process start?

--1SQmhf2mF2YjsYvc

On Thu, Mar 15, 2001 at 12:52:43PM -0500, Khouri Giordano wrote:
> I have several FreeBSD machines that running versions from 3.3 to 4.1.
> They are either K6-2/500 or K6-3+/500 and they each have 64MB of
> memory and the default swap space. I've seen big delays (up to 30 sec)
> when trying to connect to a Samba share or telnet to them. The only
> thing that I can think is that they are trying to swap stuff out to
> put together a process for me. They are hardly used at all except for
> distributed.net clients that run at nice 20.
>=20
> Is there some way that I can tell what is holding up the machines?
> Is 64MB enough RAM? Do I need a bigger swap area?

Use system tools like systat, vmstat, top, ps, etc to see what's going
on.  If you're trying to run more processes than will fit in memory,
then you'll experience the kinds of delays you experience.  Even if
the machines aren't constantly loaded, if a transient job allocates a
lot of memory it will push to swap other inactive things like inetd,
telnetd, samba, etc, which then take a while to read back in the next
time they're used.  Consider adding more RAM if it's a problem.

Kris
--1SQmhf2mF2YjsYvc

--1SQmhf2mF2YjsYvc--