Date:      Mon, 04 Sep 2000 22:41:35 +1000
From:      Rob Secombe <robseco@teksupport.net.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Wierd tape drive behaviour

Hi all,

I am not on the freebsd-questions list so could you please reply direct.

I have recently built a 'samba server' based on FreeBSD 4.0 for one of our
customers. All is working perfectly except for the backup. The customer had
an Wangdat 3100 in their old Novell server which they asked if we could
use. As that amount of data they had to back up would easily fit and the
tape drive was working fine with Novell/Arcserve, I said "sure". I spoke
too soon. The tape subsystem intermitently works but the majority of the
time it reports ther following error.

/usr/bin/tar: can't write to /dev/rsa0 : Invalid argument

and syslogs:

(sa0:sym0:0:6:0): Invalid request.  Variable block device requests must be
between 53257 and -1 bytes

The upper and lower blocksize values seem to vary. I have tried new tapes
and doing an 'mt erase' to no avail.

device info is:

sa0 at sym0 bus 0 target 6 lun 0
sa0: <WangDAT Model 3100 03.0> Removable Sequential Access SCSI-2 device
sa0: 4.807MB/s transfers (4.807MHz, offset 8)

I have had a trawl through the archives and can find serveral other related
questions but no definitive answers. Does anyone have a fix for this or do
I just co-incidentally have a sick drive.

See you at FreeBSDcon!

Thanks in advance

Rob Secombe (RS39-AU)
Engineering Director