Date:      Thu, 23 Feb 1995 01:36:44 -0800 (PST)
From:      brian@mediacity.com (Brian Litzinger)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   My laptop and 1024x768 XF86

My laptop is willing to do 1024x768x256 interlaced when switched to
external VGA only.  I've verified this with MS Windoze.

Unfortunately, under XFree86 3.1.1 the clocks all get reported back
28.3 28.3 28.3 28.3 28.3 28.3 28.3 28.3, which is probably true.

No doubt some part of the driver under MS Windoze does some magic
incantation to get the 45MHz clock for the interlaced 1024x768.

The LCD Controller is a Chips 655xx.

Any one have any clues what might be necessary to get 1024x768x256
up and running under XF86?

I've tried overridding the detected values of 28.3, with 45, but there
really does seem to be 28.3 on all the clock ports.

The LapTop is utterly generic, which by the way is running FreeBSD
021095 SNAP quite nicely including a DLINK PCMCIA ethernet card
and TDK PCMCIA modem.  The Soundblaster (2.1) works, though I haven't
gotten the FM stuff detected.  What places other than 0x388 are
used for the FM synthesizer chips.  No RTF(owners)M doesn't help.  I read
through it about 9 times so far.

Thanks for any help,

Brian Litzinger
brian@easynet.com