Date:      Mon, 28 Jul 1997 18:01:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@mail.MCESTATE.COM>
To:        Gary Palmer <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "Nicole H." <nicole@mediacity.com>, Robert Watson <robert+freebsd@cyrus.watson.org>, "[Mario1-]" <mario1@primenet.com>, JbHunt <johnnyu@accessus.net>, security@FreeBSD.ORG, Tomasz Dudziak <loco@onyks.wszib.poznan.pl>
Subject:   Re: security hole in FreeBSD

On Mon, 28 Jul 1997, Gary Palmer wrote:

=)Vincent Poy wrote in message ID
=)<Pine.BSF.3.95.970728173911.3844T-100000@mail.MCESTATE.COM>:
=)> 	It seems the interface always goes into promiscuous mode though.
=)
=)Err? Not on my systems it doesn't.

	It seems to happen on every machine including fresh installed
ones.

This is from dmesg:
ed1: promiscuous mode enabled
ed1: promiscuous mode enabled
ed1: promiscuous mode enabled

=)> 	Hmmm, if BPF isn't there, how will utils like trafshow work to
=)> track people down?
=)
=)Track what people down?

	Track people who ping icmp flood the machine since that's what
trafshow is for.

=)It's really a choice. You can run a secure shell server or you can run
=)a shell server which, if hacked, becomes a real threat. I've taken
=)certain liberties locally (bpf is still compiled in), but since the
=)machine is right behind me (literally), and carefully watched, I'm not
=)particularly worried right now.

	I watch the machines like 20 hours a day almost and no one even
knows I'm logged on when I'm using screen sessions.  and I never su unless
necessary.

Cheers,
Vince - vince@MCESTATE.COM - vince@GAIANET.NET           ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
GaiaNet Corporation - M & C Estate                     / / / /  | /  | __] ]
Beverly Hills, California USA 90210                   / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]