Date:               Tue, 25 Jul 1995 16:12:30 -0500
From:      "Andrew Webster" <awebster@dataradio.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:         BOOT Question

This should probably be under freebsd-hackers, but I'm not subscribed to
that list.

On FreeBSD-2.0.5-RELEASE, why is there a limit to the maximum size of the
boot2 program?  I can understand the 512 byte limit on the boot1 program,
but since boot1 loads boot2, why limit it to a paltry 7168 bytes?  I'am
attemping to add some UPS functionality to the system, and need to add a
bit of code to prevent the OS from booting if the UPS is not online.
Right now, my code slightly exceeds the 7168 byte limit.

I know the answer is to write smaller code, but for my own curiosity, I'd
like to know why the limit.  There is no documentation mentionning it.

Thanks for your help!

  Andrew Webster   Network Manager / Special Projects
  Dataradio Inc.   200-5500 Royalmount Ave.      TEL: +1 514 737 0020
  Town of Mount Royal, QC, CANADA  H4P 1H7       FAX: +1 514 737 7883
  http://www.dataradio.com              Email: awebster@dataradio.com