Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 2000 17:42:16 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, andyt <andyt@afua.net>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSDCon East

At 5:28 PM -0700 2000/3/27, Brett Glass wrote:

>  If one wanted to do the convention near DC, Baltimore would be a
>  good choice because there are lots of bargain airfares and a
>  glut of hotel rooms in the area.

	Baltimore is quite a bit cheaper than the DC area, but is also
close enough that you can still consider flying into Dulles or
Washington National and making the drive, taking the bus, or taking
the train to make that final connection.

	The DC area is one of the very few in the US that have three
airports so close together (I think Chicago and New York are the
other two on the Right Side of the map), and this gives it a pretty
big advantage when you're looking at trying to get the best airfare,
etc....  This also makes it a lot easier for those of us that might
be trying to come over from Europe.

	The Baltimore/DC area is more southern than either Chicago or New
York, and fairly close to major East/West interstate highways like
I-40 as well as being close to I-83 and I-95.  These factors combine
to make it a much more drivable location for people on the East Coast
that are *not* already in Chicago or New York, since they probably
wouldn't have to drive as far and what distance they would have to
drive is relatively easy.

	I'd also submit that the weather in the Baltimore/DC area is
likely to be nicer than either Chicago or New York, if you're talking
about winter, spring, or fall.  About the only time they fall down is
in summer, when the humidity and the heat can get higher than is
desirable -- of course, if you're comparing that to in-city
temperatures in Chicago or New York, I think Baltimore & DC would
still win.  ;-)

	Finally, for those people who might be doing some vacation in and
around the time, it's closer to both DC (if you want to do
sightseeing) and the Virginia/Maryland/Delaware/New Jersey coast --
only about three hours away from Long Island New Jersey (where a
friend of mine owns a beach house ;-).

	If you're serious about a BSDCon on the East Coast, I think that
the Baltimore/DC area has more going for it than any other I can
think of, and has fewer drawbacks.

	If you want to pursue setting up in the Baltimore/DC area, I can
put you in touch with some people in dc.sage (the SAGE local in the
DC area), OldBaySAGE (the SAGE local in the Baltimore area), and the
local FreeBSD User Group in that area.  I used to live in the DC
area, and I still have a few contacts.