Date:      Wed, 05 Nov 2003 11:58:21 +1030
From:      Kim Needham <kim.needham@rocksoft.com>
To:        "Robert Collins" <rcollins@hwi.buffalo.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Veractiy and FreeBSD

This is caused by a check that determines if the /proc filesystem is on
the same device as the file being read to prevent reading in files of
infinite length.
Since FreeBSD 5.x seems to no longer use a mounted proc filesystem but proc
is mounted on the root device, this check will need to be removed for
FreeBSD 5.x.

In theory you could remove the /proc directory though I have no idea what bad
effects that will have, especially if you are using anything that runs in
compatibility mode.
(Someone more up to date with the changes to FreeBSD 5.x could inform you as to
the problems this may cause)

Otherwise we will have a new version shortly that will have this problem
corrected.

Kim Needham (kim.needham@rocksoft.com)
Network Engineer, Rocksoft Limited.
Ph: +61 8 8232 6262  Fax: +61 8 8232 6264  http://www.rocksoft.com/