Date:      Fri, 26 Aug 2005 02:24:37 +0200
From:      Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky@c2i.net>
To:        freebsd-isdn@freebsd.org
Subject:   Support for primary rate

Hi,

I just want to let you know that support for Primary Rate is almost finished.

I have done some testing on a Pentium 200MHz, and can show you the following
numbers at 4MBit/second total transfer rate:

31 channels(rx+tx) under HDLC emulation: CPU load: 20% (according to ps)
31 channels(rx+tx) under hardware HDLC:  CPU load: 10% (according to ps)

It would run on a 33MHz even :-)

NOTE: the HDLC-emulator has to pipes reading, and one pipe writing, hence I
used two devices for this experiment. The hardware HDLC has only got one pipe
reading and one pipe writing. So a more fair view is:

10% / 2 = 5% per 2MBit/s
20% / 3 = 7% per 2MBit/s

So software HDLC is very fast.

I expect something working by the end of next week. The chip I have added
support for is HFC-E1, and cards with that device can be bought at:
http://www.beronet.com and http://www.junghanns.net for around 500 euros,
which is not so bad.

--HPS