Date:      Sun, 14 Sep 1997 10:23:21 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: nfs startup - perhaps it is a problem

> > Except rlogind ignores the hosts file and does a DNS request
> > anyway when attempting to verify the source host for a user,
> > even if you have hosts first in host.conf.
>
> Who told you this?  rlogind does a plain gethostbyaddr(), so it will
> use whatever address resolving gethostby*() is using.  People without
> name servers wouldn't be able to use r services at all otherwise.

iijppp told me this when I tried to rlogin to myself (actually, rsh)
to start an xterm under fvwm, and the rlogind did a getpeername(),
then did a gethostbyaddr() that, for no good reason, sent out DNS
packets, even though "hosts" appeared before "bin" in /etc/host.conf.

So you could say that it's Empirically true, regardless of theory
and regardless of what it's supposedly doing.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.