Date:      Sat, 21 Aug 1999 00:18:23 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Cliff Skolnick <cliff@steam.com>
Cc:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>, jay d <service_account@yahoo.com>, Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen@ispro.net.tr>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: multiple machines in the same network

Cliff Skolnick wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Aug 1999, Wes Peters wrote:
>
> > Ah hell, just buy a switch/router and get the whole mess in one box.  If you
> > buy the RIGHT one, you can get your wide area/internet link AND your firewall
> > all in the same box.  Anyone who thinks a router provides more security than
> > a VLAN switch doesn't understand how VLANs work.
>
> With a nice router I can almost always set up filtering and policys on how
> ports exchange traffic.  It's really hard to create a good packet filter on
> a layer 2 device,

Who said anything about layer 2 devices?  Both the switches I referred to
are layer 3 devices with a wide range of network services available.  The
Xylan box offers Checkpoint FW-1 firewall and advanced routing if you want
to get really involved, though you'll need a model with more RAM and Flash.

> 4 Port Ethernet cards are less than $500 now so you
> can build the box with a really low per-port cost.  The box costs $2000 for
> 8 ports at about $250/port.

You obviously didn't follow the links.  The HP ProCurve I mentioned is $1880
for 40 switched 10/100 ports with layer 3 functionality and VLAN support.
That's $47 port port, much lower than your $250/port, with a LOT more performance
also.  The Tolly Group recently tested it and found it capable of sustaining
full wire speed on all 40 ports.  I'll just be your PCI-bus box isn't going
to hit 4 Gbps throughput.

> Sure there are some switches that do provide extensive filtering and even
> load balancing, but those are a usually a bit more than $250/port.

Not anymore.

http://softweyr.com/                                           wes@softweyr.com