Date:      Fri, 30 Mar 2001 06:58:17 +0200
From:      Marc Espie <espie@schutzenberger.liafa.jussieu.fr>
To:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>
Cc:        brooks@one-eyed-alien.net, chrisc@vmunix.com, kris@obsecurity.org, libh@FreeBSD.ORG, op-tech@openpackages.org
Subject:   Re: PackageNG and OpenPackages

On Thu, Mar 29, 2001 at 03:20:56PM -0800, Jordan Hubbard wrote:
> Not that it would, of course, since this is rather too flat of a
> hierarchy and I'm sure someone could do better with even 10 minutes
> thought (I just yanked in an `ls -C /usr/ports/[a-z]* and added "system" :-)
In OpenBSD, we now have:
- non flat hierarchies (indeed, our ports tree is three level deep)
- targets to cross-reference categories (by creating links around).
- extra-checks for dependencies (so that you don't end up depending on a
link.
- a `search' framework at the bsd.port.subdir.mk level

You could call that meta tools to handle taxonomy, though the meta still
needs to become more abstract :)

e.g., if you define a specific variable (say, search=, or cat=), then
it builds a list of SUBDIRS, and uses that directly to build stuff in
subtrees (of course this can only be efficient with a central index file
that is updated from time to time).

This can also be used to reorder a list of ports to build: you have a list
of ports, you create a list of directory/dependency for tsort, and then use
tsort to get a `correct' list of SUBDIRS that will never backtrack.

Some recent changes were geared into that direction:
- framework to `generalize' subdirs and add options (flavors) there:
SUBDIR= dir,flavor
does work.
- a new tsort that provides `stable' tsort, optionally, by using a heap
to yield a topological order that is not too different from the input's
order if at all possible.