Date:      Sun, 05 Jul 1998 14:17:47 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        rotel@indigo.ie
Cc:        "Allen Smith" <easmith@beatrice.rutgers.edu>, security@FreeBSD.ORG, njs3@doc.ic.ac.uk, dima@best.net, abc@ralph.ml.org, tqbf@secnet.com
Subject:   Re: bsd securelevel patch question

>On Jul 2,  9:00am, David Greenman wrote:
>} Subject: Re: bsd securelevel patch question

>> >It would only be necessary to do this for binds to ports < 1024.  So it
>> >would just be checked every time a daemon started.
>>
>>    Um, well, let's talk about FTP servers, then, since those do a privileged
>> bind() for every data connection that is estabilished (one per file transfer).
>
>This can be solved by using passive mode on the FTP server side, which is
>a good idea for security conscious sites anyhow.

   Passive FTP is initiated by the client and is not something that the server
can enforce. Further, it does nothing to enhance security for the server - if
anything, it actually reduces the security since you'd have to poke holes
through any firewall to allow the client data connects.

-DG

David Greenman