Date:      Thu, 28 Feb 2002 13:18:55 -0500
From:      Marcia Barrett Nice <mimerki@yahoo.com>
To:        "Paul C. Boyle" <paulcb_mcse@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Newbie hostname issue.

| Windows habbits are hard to break.
| Must be plexi-glass.

Someone should have that for a .sig.

| Well Marcia,
| My 4.5 install is not what you my call a pure install.
| Many KDE packages were not on the cd set. All I could install from the set
| was the bare minimum.  I had to rip kppp form the 4.4 iso.  The install
| compained a bit but it did do it.   I did this from /stand/sysinstall.
| I managed to download kmultimedia2 and it seems to work fine. So do the
| games and utilities, I think I took these from the 4.4 iso.  Having tried
| to download kdevelop and kmymoney2 they both failed.   Could it be they are
| dependant on something I don't have installed.   BTW when I was running the
| 4.4 iso installation i had installed kdevleop and it seemed to work for a
| while.  I am not a programmer so I can't really comment on its worthyness.
| What I would like to try is get all things new KDE and start fresh. What do
| you think?  Should I rip everything KDE out and do a fresh install or could
| I install on top of what I have now?

Is it possible that this is a problem with the package install of KDE?  I
believe I installed KDE from the CDs as well (it's been a while and I didn't
keep notes on it).  It might be worth your while to try uninstalling the
packaged KDE and try installing her from the ports.  Unless someone has a
better solution.  (I am not sure, will this also wipe KDE preferences files?
Does it really matter? hmmm...  I may try this later today, while I'm doing
something else.  If I do, I'll let you know.)

Marci

--
So why, pray, sign anything as long as every word, letter, penstroke,
paperspace is a perfect signature of its own?