Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 2000 17:21:27 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        "Michael C . Wu" <keichii@peorth.iteration.net>
Cc:        freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: StrongARM support?

In message <20001218162732.A70076@peorth.iteration.net> "Michael C . Wu" writes:
: Do you use the gcc embedded optimizations?

No.  Not directly.  My install script assumes that

: | which lets you tweak things to year heart's delight.  Every time I go
: | to put this script up, I run into the "oh, but I want it to do X Y and
: | Z before posting." problem.  Maybe I should just post it.
:
: Just an idea/question:
: Can we possibly use crunchgen to generate a big binary for userland tools
: only?  Then we can drop in new binaries with ease.

No.  I will not do that.  The biggest reason is that it is an
unbelievable PITA to manitain if you have other applications to load
onto the box that are outside of the FreeBSD tree.  I tried doing that
once upon a time and found that with shared libraries for everything,
and 16M or larger parts that it wasn't necessary at all since the
savings was so meager.

: However, I think that simply buying a 100mb SANDISK is easier. :)

If you need 100MB parts, you are doing something wrong.  We're running
on 32M parts with 10-20M free depending on the application(s) we layer
onto the device here at Timing Soltuions.  And that's without using
filesystem level compression.  If we could run only out of memory,
we'd be able to fit on a 8M part with room to spare.

1.44MB is too small, but 16M is way fat.  The base system is a smidge
over 7M.  You could trim that to about 6M for standard /etc/rc files
and about 4M if you roll your own and use the tineware tools from
PicoBSD and don't need anything else (eg router, ppp-on-a-stick,
etc).  Our application requires a control program that's fairly large
because it has a lot to do, which is why we chose the 32M parts.
Also, for a long time the smallest flash I could build was 16M before
we put anything else on it.

Warner