Date:      Tue, 13 Aug 2002 10:35:14 -0400
From:      Chen Xu <xuchen@brandeis.edu>
To:        Dmitry Agafonov <aga@rsm.ru>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need instructions:  build kernel on one machine;  install on another

On Tuesday, August 13, 2002, at 10:20  AM, Dmitry Agafonov wrote:

> We have compiled kernels (make buildkernel KERNCONF=LALALA) on one machine,
>  and then after nfs-mounting /usr/src and /usr/obj to target machine -
> make installkernel KERNCONF=LALALA
> This works fine and is very good for poor-cpu/ram machines :)
>

> The question still remains - can one build a number of kernels and
> then install them? This will save some time on updating a number
> of machines: 3 steps (cvsup'ing and world and kernel(s) building)
> may be fully automated.

I don't see why you cann't do it for many machines. One can just
make buildkernel KERNCONF=LALALA
make buildkernel KERNCONF=ZAZAZA

then nfs mount to each machine to installkernel. Only problem is
that you have to do `installkernel KERNCONF=$cornel_config`
on each target boxes, which makes fully auto a problem. \

Chen