Date:      Tue, 28 Sep 1999 11:37:16 -0400
From:      Chris Conrad <rhavyn@syru205-140.syr.edu>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Some problems with FreeBSD from a newbie

I just recently installed FreeBSD and have been playing with it and slowly getting what I want to work.  There are a few things I can't seem to figure out though.

1.  I have an OPL-SAx sound chip.  Does FreeBSD have support for this chip, or do I need to used the open sound drivers?

2.  Eterm gives this message (sometimes, under KDE it usually works fine) when using certain commands:
load: 1.29 cmd: su 94460 [ttyin] 0.00u 0.00s 0% 584k
After that, Eterm just hangs.  Is this something that happens with Eterm on FreeBSD?

3 & 4.  These 2 kinda go together.  Often times when using the GNOME with enlightenment, enlightenment just won't start using the GNOME's session management.  I have never experienced this problem before (I've used the GNOME with e under just about every Linux distribution).  After fiddling for a while I can usually get e to start, but the next time I log into X, e may or may not start  again.  The second part of the question is when e does start, it gives me a message telling me to turn on Shared Memory for Imlib for faster performance.  I've checked both my imlib config file and the master file for the system and both of them have it turned on. It wouldn't be a problem, but e seems to hang for several seconds before displaying the message.  Is this just something that X under FreeBSD doesn't support?

Thanks in advance,
Chris