Date:      Sat, 15 May 2004 16:04:15 -0400
From:      "JJB" <Barbish3@adelphia.net>
To:        "Matt \"Cyber Dog\" LaPlante" <webmaster@cyberdogtech.com>, "'Matthew Seaman'" <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD 4.7 Syslogs

Well since you are new to FBSD and since the syslogd -d commands
shows that you do not have logging specified in /etc/syslog.conf for
the messages file. You just do not know what you are looking at. Who
ever was sysadmin before you probably  commented it out for what
ever reason.

By the way I tried using the logger command on my 4.9 system and it
did not write any messages at all. So it is no help in debugging
this problem. I read the man logger info and as usual the man page
is useless. Who ever writes those must work real hard at writing
sentences that convey no meanings.

To verify the conclusion that no logging is enabled for messages
file, first do  halt command, power off box, wait 1 minute, power
back on to boot system, then, post the complete contents of these
files.
/var/run/dmesg.boot
/etc/rc.conf
/etc/syslog.conf
/etc/newsylog.conf
/etc/crontab
The output of this command  ls -l /var/log/*   to see all the
details about your log files.
The output of this command  ps ax